One of my colleagues recently had this issue with the PDF iFilter crawling and indexing PDF files properly but doesn’t seem to have successfully crawled the content properly. What this basically means is that PDF documents are getting properly crawled by the search service application. If an end user searches for the PDF based of the content that it contains, chances were that the right PDF file wasn’t being shown in the results page.

Having installed and configured PDF iFilter a few times, I was quite surprised by his query. I tried the same back at my home network and got a similar result. Eeeks L

Checked all my permissions, 1291 times. This was eating my head and I knew the culprit was permissions going on holiday somewhere south J

Yep and I was right, there is addition to the Filter Bin folder that needs to be made. I have recorded all my steps from top to bottom below. Hopefully it helps someone:

 

  1. Download and Install the Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms
  2. Download a 16X16 PDF icon file from the Adobe web site and copy it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES\
  3. Add the following entry in the docIcon.xml file, which can be found at: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML
  • <Mapping Key=”pdf” Value=”pdf16.gif” />
  1. Add the pdf file type to the Search Service Application’s File types
  2. Open regedit and navigate to the following location:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Setup\ContentIndexCommon\Filters\Extension
  • Right-click and select New > Key to create a new key called ‘.pdf’
  • Add the following GUID as the default value for the .pdf key
  • {E8978DA6-047F-4E3D-9C78-CDBE46041603}
  1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following location:
  2. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms\bin
  • Add your Search Service Application’s Content Access Account to the list of users and groups who have security access to this folder. Make sure the account has Read, Read & Execute, and List Folder Contents permissions.
  1. Reboot the SharePoint servers in your Farm to restart the Search Service Application

 

Cheers